[R] Power Spectrum from STFT (e1071)?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 13 12:48:11 CEST 2011

> Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:55:34 -0700
> From: ajf226 at psu.edu
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] Power Spectrum from STFT (e1071)?
>
> Hello.
>
> Does anyone know how to generate a power spectrum from the STFT function in
> package e1071? The output for this function supplies the Fourier
> coefficients, but I do not know how to relate these back to the power
> spectrum.
>
> Alternatively, if anyone is aware of other packages/functions that perform
> short time Fourier transforms, that would also be helpful.

What exactly are you trying to do? From what I can recall, quick look on wikipedia
and I've done this in the past for audio envelope/carrier separation,
the short-term modifier just means you need to window the input signal.
I did just do something like this in R, to deconvolve histograms with
an impulse response, and it is not hard to create your own window function
and multiply with signal. Power spectrum  is just magnitude, but you may want
to also invert and see that output is real (Re>> Im) to verify nothing went
wrong in processing. Probably this returns complex numbers, I think you
can use abs) or Re() and Im() on them and also str() but post some
code and try "?fft" for example.