[R] file size plot pdf

Marc Jekel mjekel at uni-bonn.de
Fri May 13 12:27:09 CEST 2011

Dear R-Fans,

I have been lately working on some plots in R that I save as pdf via the
pdf() command. I have realized that when I open those files in Adobe and
then re-save it within Adobe ("save as..."), the size of the pdf files
decreases rapidly (e.g., from 4mb to 1mb). This can also be observed for
smaller pdf files (but not as drastically). Does anyone know if Adobe
somehow compresses pdf files + if it is possible to already do this
within R (the quality of the pdfs is the same as far as I can judge from
perceptual inspection).

Thanks for a hint,

Marc