[R] RMySQL problem on Windows 7 32 bit

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:34:35 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM, byzin <mbyzon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to analyze Affymetrix exonchip data using the exon map
> package.  I have installed this package but have had problems installing the
> associated programs, specifically RMySQL since no windows binary exists.
>
> I have followed the directions for compiling the package as found on -
> http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/RMySQL - but still have an error
> when executing the install.package command.
>
> RTools, and MSQL 5.5 have been installed on my computer. Path environment
> altered to include RTools and R, verified to be working.

1. Be sure to read the INSTALL file in the RMySQL*.tar.gz in the inst
directory.

2. You may not have installed mysql completely.  Be sure to install it
from the mysql site.  Distributions such as xampp won't work out of
the box.

3. After installing mysql, download Rcmd.bat from the batchfiles
distribution here:

http://batchfiles.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Rcmd.bat

and run this (replacing whatever):

Rcmd.bat INSTALL RMySQL.whatever.tar.gz

If you have put MySQL in the standard place then Rcmd.bat will
temporarily set MYSQL_HOME.  It will also temporarily add rtools to
the path, turn off cygwin warnings and do a number of other things for
you so that basically the one line above is all you need to do (after
installing r, rtools, miktex and mysql).

Also, Rgui.bat (same file - just rename Rcmd.bat to Rgui.bat) will
start up R with those defined.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.