[R] Powerful PC to run R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:28:12 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Michael Haenlein
<haenlein at escpeurope.eu> wrote:
> I'm currently running R on my laptop -- a Lenovo Thinkpad X201 (Intel Core
> i7 CPU, M620, 2.67 Ghz, 8 GB RAM). The problem is that some of my
> calculations run for several days sometimes even weeks (mainly simulations
> over a large parameter space). Depending on the external conditions, my
> laptop sometimes shuts down due to overheating.

If you are on Windows press the Windows key and type in Power Options.
 When the associated dialog pops up choose Power Saver.  Now your PC
will use less power so it won't heat up so much although your
performance could suffer a bit.

Also ensure that there is sufficient air circulation around the machine.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com