[R] R CMD check: no visible binding for global variable

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue May 17 02:57:46 CEST 2011

If you install you package does the following work
in a fresh R session
   library(yourPackage)
   annotIndex
or do you need to say data(annotIndex) before using
that object?  (This may depend on whether yourPackage
uses a namespace or not.)  If so then adding the line
   LazyData: yes
to DESCRIPTION should eliminate the need for the call
to data(annotIndex) and make check happy as well.
It works for me with R 2.13.0 on Linux.

I am not an expert on the details of the DESCRIPTION
and NAMESPACE files in R packages and others who know
better will probably chime in.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com