[R] Zero counts in an aggregate function

noellejm noellejm at u.washington.edu
Tue May 17 09:34:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Jorge Ivan Velez  wrote:

    Hi Noelle,

    Try using

    count2 <- function(x)  sum(x == 0)

    or, for all at once (untested),

    foo <- function(x) c( alive = sum(x == 1), dead = sum(x == 0))
    with(bugs, tapply(SURVIVE, FRUIT, foo))

    HTH,
    Jorge

Hi Jorge,

The first bit of code didn't seem to work, but the second one did!

tapply worked but I also inserted "foo" into the aggregate code and was also
able to add the "alive" and "dead" columns to my data.

Thanks very much for your help!

Noelle