[R] Rscript hangs on exit with ubuntu 11.04

Mikael Högqvist hoegqvist at zib.de
Tue May 17 12:18:27 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have run into a strange issue with Rscript and plyr. When running
the following Rscript:

#!/usr/bin/Rscript
library(plyr)
d = ddply(data.frame(a=1:101,b=1:101), .(a,b), nrow)
head(d)

the script does not terminate. It prints out the results from head(d),
but does not return to the shell. By changing the a and b to 1:100,
the script returns. The same code running within the R shell works
fine. I'm using plyr 1.5.2 and R 2.13.0 on Ubuntu 11.04. The same code
worked fine on Ubuntu 10.10.

I've found an older mail to the r-help mailing-list which may be related:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2011-March/273163.html

but there was no solution. I also asked this question on the plyr mailing list.

Can anyone else reproduce this or have any idea of how it can be resolved?

Thanks,
Mikael