[R] R Style Guide -- Was Post-hoc tests in MASS using glm.nb

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Thu May 19 02:39:25 CEST 2011

I used to think like that.  However I have recently re-read John Chambers' "Software for Data Analysis" and now I'm starting to see the point.

S4 classes and methods do require you to plan your classes and methods well and the do impose a discipline that can seem rigid and unnecessary.  But I have found that to program well you do need to exerceise a lot of discipline, mainly because it can take quite some time to spot all the inadequacies and even traps in your code that an ill-disciplined approach lets you get away with at first.

IMHO, of course.  Perhaps you can all see the traps that elude me.

Cheers,
Bill.

PS Rolf Turner?  Respectful?  Goodness, what's going on?  :-)