[R] Shrink file size of pdf graphics

Layman123 romanhornung at web.de
Thu May 19 17:14:06 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

My data consists of a system of nearly 75000 roads, available as a
shapefile. When I plot the road system, by adding the individual roads with
'lines' and store it as a pdf-file with 'pdf' I get a file of size 13 MB.
This is way too large to add it in my LaTeX-document, because there will be
some more graphics of this type.
Now I'm curious to learn wheter there is a possibility in R to shrink the
file size of this graphic? I merely need it in a resolution so that it looks
"smooth" when printed out. I don't know much about the storage of R
graphics, but maybe there is a way to change the way the file is stored
perhaps as a pixel image?

Thank you very much in advance! Any tips are appreciated much!

Regards
Roman