[R] How to do covariate adjustment in R

Timothy Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:25:49 CEST 2011

Dear Karena,

x = 1:100
y = rnorm(100)

fit = lm(x~y)
# what properties does a fit have?
names(fit)
 # [1] "coefficients"  "residuals"     "effects"       "rank"          "fitted.values" "assign"        "qr"
 # [8] "df.residual"   "xlevels"       "call"          "terms"         "model"

x.resid = fit$residuals
plot(x~x.resid)
cor.test(y,x.resid) # -> r = 3.019388e-17

A gotcha is NAs in your data frame: Look at ?lm to see how to handle these properly
best, t