[R] Building Custom GUIs for R

jverzani jverzani at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:37:52 CEST 2011

vioravis <vioravis <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am looking to build simple GUIs based on the R codes I have. The main
> objective is to hide the scary R codes from non-programming people
> and make it easier for them to try out different inputs.

... snip ...

> Are there any tools currently available that enable us build GUIs??? (MATLAB
> has a GUI builder that enables the users build custom GUIs).

R has lots of packages to assist in making GUIs. Quickly, some are:

tcltk: a recommended package with R for quite awhile. See Rcmdr and GrapheR
for two excellent packages that use it.

RGtk2: an add-on package to integrate R with the GTK libraries (as well
cairoDevice).  See RGtk2DfEdit, playwith and latticist for example usage,
and rattle to see how  GTK's GUI design tools can be integrated in.

qtbase: New, not yet on CRAN. Integrates R with Qt libraries. To see an example,
fly out to San Franciso and catch a ride down to Google:
http://www.meetup.com/R-Users/events/18876401/

The gWidgets packages provide an easier to learn but more limited
interface to the above packages.

In addition, R can interface with other languages: rJava (deducer),
rpy2(RedR), RCpp
(http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/03/25/#rinside_and_qt), ...

--John