[R] Downloading a csv from Dropbox using the shareable link

Timothy Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Sat May 21 00:29:58 CEST 2011

The problem is that dropbox sharable links unpack to https URIs, and R doesn't support secture http (at least not on Mac, not sure about other platforms).

Would be great to compile the read.table etc. functions to use curl when it is installed, as curl supports a myriad of protocols.

Rcurl package seems to does this (but not on windows)

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RCurl/RCurl.pdf

If your friends all use dropbox, they can get a common local path with something like "~Dropbox/file.Rnw"