[R] Downloading a csv from Dropbox using the shareable link

Bryan Hanson hanson at depauw.edu
Sat May 21 03:17:42 CEST 2011

Hi Patrick, here is the set up:

Everyone is already sharing all the files and has full access.  We
have an Rnw file which generates a report and uses a csv file in a
"nearby" directory.  Dropbox keeps it all sync'd.  But, if Person A is
working on the file on their computer the path to the data would be
(Mac OSX) /Users/PersonA/Dropbox/Project/data.csv  However, to Person
B the path would be /Users/PersonB/Dropbox/data.csv  I'm looking for a
way to keep the path to data.csv universal and independent of who is
actually using the file.  That's why I was looking at the "shareable
link" feature on Dropbox.

I guess I see two solutions (partially answering my own question now).

1.  Keep the data file in the same directory as the report and I don't
think there would be any problems.
2. In the Rnw file, use a relative  path.  I know you can do this for
instance when you specify where the graphics go.  I suppose the same
approach would allow me to specify the path as going up one level and
then down into a different directory.  As long as I bury these folders
deep enough that I don't have to use a relative path that ever hits
the "PersonX" level I suppose it will work.

I'll try it out.  Further suggestions welcome.  Thanks, Bryan