[R] denoting post-hoc test differences using letters

Adrienne Keller adrienne.keller at umontana.edu
Mon May 23 18:40:35 CEST 2011

Is there code in R to automatically assign letters to different groups
that are found to be statistically significant using a post-hoc test
following an ANOVA? For example, let's say I found that relative rates
of tree growth were statistically significant between tree species
using an ANOVA and then I ran a TukeyHSD post-hoc test to determine
which species were statistically different from one another. I can
manually assign different letters for each species that is different
from another, but is there code to do this automatically in R. I would
like to add these letters to a table, but have many different ANOVAs
and doing this manually will be quite time consuming.

Thanks,

Adrienne