[R] Latent class analysis, selection of the number of classes

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Mon May 23 23:21:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

I perform latent class analysis on a matrix of dichotomous variables to
create an indicator of class/category membership for each observation. I
would like to know whether there is a function that selects the best fit in
terms of number of classes/categories.

Currently, I am doing this with the lca() function of the e1071 package.
This function requires me to specify the number of classes and to compare
fit statistics for each run of lca. This becomes somewhat cumbersome the
more variables the data matrix contains and, thus, the greater the number of
possible classes is. I was wondering whether there is an alternative
implemented in a different package that does exactly that.

Thanks,
Daniel