[R] How do I assign boolean (o,1) values to a column?

Xenimes acasusa at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:46:11 CEST 2011

Thank you David and Steve,

Yes all this data are already in R and in csv files.
Sorry for not being clear.

I have this:

Codes1and3[1:5,c(1:5)]
  	Mark_2 pop 	Mark_1	Mark_3 age
1      	P  	A1      139 	alpha   2
2      	P 	A1      140 	alpha   2
3      	P  	A1      141 	gamma   2
4      	S  	A1      142    gamma   2
5      	S  	A1      143    alpha   2
6	T       A2	144	alpha	2
7	T	A2	145	alpha	2

I’m comparing Marks 1 and 3, then I need to know if the ones in Mark_2 in
the general table have 1 or more interactions with Mark 3. For example here
“P” appears in the same row than “alpha” and then in the same than “gamma”,
then there are 2 interactions, so in a Boolean code it should be 1 (more
than1 interaction).
The same for “S”. But “T” only interacts with “alpha”, that will make it
only one interaction = 0.

The next colum I need is Code 1 referent to code 3 and in this case it
should look like this:
	Code 1_3
1	1
2	1
3	1
4	1
5	1
6	0

I have tried to count but, of course in this case it will always be one,
because they are linked in each row once, how can I consider the other rows?