[R] Count of rows while looping through data

Jeanna stroutj at uw.edu
Tue May 24 21:08:07 CEST 2011

I have a data table with one column that indicates families, and subsequent
columns with other characteristics.  I want to randomize one member of the
family to a separate table.  My approach is to count the number of members,
set up a random number generator, and assign the family member based on
where they fall within the random number spectrum.

Is there a way to count the number of family members as I loop through the
whole table?

Something like this:
for (j in 1:15){
	if (x$family[j] == x$family[j+1]){