[R] Adding Mean to Notched Box Plots

kydaviddoyle kydaviddoyle at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:12:56 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm new to R and made my 1st notched box plots this weekend.  I've read some
of the other post regarding adding means to box plots but I'm still having
problems.

I've looked at some of the other discussions and R News Volume 3/2, October
2003 which had info also but all these seem to address "groups" of data.

I have some rainfall pH data from Mammoth Cave National Park.  The data
comes in as one dataset as a table with ten columns (one of each year).

I've tried to upload the workspace file at:

http://www.doylesdartden.com/e/.RData

The code I've used so far to make the notch box plots is:

#makes the notched box plot.  "data" = the name of the data in R.
boxplot(data, notch=TRUE,
# Gives the title and axis names
main="Graph Title", xlab="X axis label", ylab="Y axis label",
#Sets the colors
col=(c("gold","darkgray", "darkorchid1", "cyan", "white", "red",
"limegreen", "magenta", "chartreuse1", "hotpink1")))
# Make a line accross graph for site limit or similar
abline(h=5, v=0, col = "red",lty=5,)
#adds text for horz line
text(1, 5.1, "Line title",col = "red")

Sincerely