[R] barplot groups of different size i.e. height is NOT a matrix

Victor Gabillon victor.gabillon at inria.fr
Wed May 25 14:56:07 CEST 2011

Hello,

I want to use the function barplot do display several group of bars.
A standard example is given at this link
http://onertipaday.blogspot.com/2007/05/make-many-barplot-into-one-plot.html

But in their example the 4 groups of bars are all composed of 8 bars.
I want to be able do display the same kind of graph but where the number
of bars in each group are not the same. For example the first group of
bars would have 2 bars and the second group of bars would have 10 bars.

barplot function has a first parameter named height which is a matrix
where each line  are the values  for the bars of one particular group.
One solution could be to have a height matrix with NA values but then
the space occupied by each group is equal to the size of the largest
group!! So you end up with gaps (empty) where there are NAs.

Do you know how to solve this problem?
Do i have to consider multiple barplots in the same plot with the same
axis? (btw, i don't know how to do that)

In fact the bar would represent the performance of an algorithm.
A group of bars would be the performance of an algorithms with different
parameters.
But when comparing different algorithms it is possible that we don't
want to display the same number of parameters for each algorithm.

Thanks for your help.
Victor