[R] problems getting the splm package installed

Rafael Terra terradem at illinois.edu
Thu May 26 04:21:08 CEST 2011

Dear R-project members,

I'm a newbie in R and I'm trying to install the "splm" package to analyze spatial panel data. I have the R x64 2.12.0 beta version installed in my computer. When I try to install the package from within R typing ">install.packages("splm", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")", I get the error message

"Warning: unable to access index for repository http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.12
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
 package ‘splm’ is not available"

If I download the package from the splm project page on R-Forge and unzip it to the library, when I call ">library(splm)" I get the following error

"Error in library(splm) : 'splm' is not a valid installed package".

I don't know what to do to get this package installed. Sorry bothering you with this, but I would appreciate very much a little help.

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely

Rafael Terra
Econ PhD candidate