[R] Applying "toupper" to only portions of text strings

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Fri May 27 00:05:01 CEST 2011

Colleagues

Assume that I have a vector containing some text strings, some of which contain a particular character.  I could like to apply "toupper" to the text before the character.  For example (in this case, "|" is the particular character):

ORIGINAL:
	TEXT	<- c("aaaa", "bbb|cc", "|ddd")

AFTER APPLICATION OF toupper:
	TEXT	<- c("AAAA", "BBB|cc", "|dddd")

I could loop through each element, strsplit at the character, apply toupper to the first component, then paste each element together.  But, I hope that there is a simpler means to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)