[R] predictive accuracy

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 02:55:28 CEST 2011

> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:50:15 -0700
> From: gunter.berton at gene.com
> To: Ahmed.El-Tahtawy at pfizer.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] predictive accuracy
>
> 1. This is not about R, and should be taken off list.

Well, depending on what mod's think a little bit of
generic "how do I REALLY use this tool" discusssion may be of
benefit for all here- a maillist for a certain brand of hammer
may discuss various uses and types of nails etc.

Pesonally I have an interest in this-if the OP will
post the data it may be possible to explore some analysis
options.

> 2. You are wading in an alligator infested swamp. Get help from
> (other) statisticians at Pfizer (there are many good ones there).

I thought that is what statisticians do? LOL.
We don't know the situation- intern, looking for outside ideas after
exhausting internals, specific issues with internal peers,
summer student not wishing to bother everyone there for details etc.

> Best,
> Bert
>
> P.S. The answer to all your questions is "no" (imho).

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 1:35 PM, El-Tahtawy, Ahmed
>  wrote:
> > The strong predictor is the country/region where the study was
> > conducted. So it is not important/useful for a clinician to use it (as
> > long he/she is in USA or Europe).
> > Excluding that predictor will make another 2 insignificant predictors to
> > become significant!!  Can the new model have a reliable predictive
> > accuracy? I thought of excluding all patients from other countries and
> > develop the model accordingly- is the exclusion of a lot of patients and
> > compromise of the power is more acceptable??

LOL, quite the contrary, post hoc selection increases power to find
whatever you or sponsor desire...

Presuming your general interest is in finding out attributes of a given
drug under various conditions, you would probably want to combine
the observations with tentative thoughts on causality and see
what makes the best story.

Statistical significance in isolation is a function of the data and analysis method,
doesn't really have anything specific to do with underlying systems.

In this case, if you have other continuous prognostic factors, say
age, LDH, hemoglobin come to mind, you may be able to find that you
have nonmonotinc  relations between prognostic factor and outcome.
But, furhter,say you have enough patients that you could in fact map
dose response curves. It may turn out that this curve is in fact non-montonic
with parameters non-monotonic in prognsotic factor. Consider

avg_survival= a+b*d-c*d^2

where d is the dose. At for small d, it seems to help but for larger dose it
makes things worse. Now consider that "c" is a complicated function
of hematocrit, it may not be hard to imagine that anemics and siderositic( is
that a word LOL?) have some underlying problems dealing with your drug.
These may be distributed geographically etc etc etc.

This is all stuff you can simulate in R or even on paper.

It sounds like you are already trying to write a label, which may
be a bit premature ( although I defer to the guy from DNA for that LOL).
" indicated for use in patients in Western Hemisphere with .... "

You may have decent luck looking at FDA panel discussion transcripts, search for
related general stats terms confined to "site:fda.gov"