[R] Changing the name of the "R" process in top

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Sat May 28 21:12:52 CEST 2011

Nice, Steve - I think this will work. I'll just call Sys.getpid() at
the top of each session and then look at the .Rout files to figure out
which is related to which...

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Steve Lianoglou
<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Matthew Keller <mckellercran at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Perhaps this is more of a unix question, but I'll give it a try here.
>> I am running 9 different R processes at the same time (called from a
>> shell script using R CMD BATCH).  When I use the top program to
>> monitor how they are doing, it is impossible to tell which R process
>> is related to which R script. Is there a way to rename a specific
>> instantiation of an R process in top with another, more informative
>> name, e.g., something like R-script1 R-script2 etc?
>
> How about flipping it around and asking your scripts to let you know
> what process they are (so you can ID in `top` by their process id, and
> not process name/command).
>
> R> Sys.getpid()
> [1] 27813
>
> Maybe you can have your scripts `cat` that value to stdout when they run?
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
>  | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  | Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Matthew C Keller
Asst. Professor of Psychology
University of Colorado at Boulder
www.matthewckeller.com