[R] Installing package rgdal

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Sun May 29 00:08:47 CEST 2011

Alex -
   Notice that the error message says "Error: proj_api.h not found."
Files ending with a suffix of .h are known as header files, and
on Ubuntu, they are distributed in so-called development packages,
which generally end with -dev .  So I'm guessing that you installed
the proj-bin package, and now you need to install the libproj-dev
package.
   You'll see the same thing for any R package that needs to be built
against an external library.  Installing the library or binary is
not enough -- to build the R package you need the development files.
   Hope this helps.
 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics