[R] One main caption for an mfrow=c(2,1) plot window

Alexander Engelhardt alex at chaotic-neutral.de
Sun May 29 22:52:21 CEST 2011

Hello,
I'm trying to plot a series of pages in a pdf with one main caption for
each page.
Each page should then have two plots in one row, preferably with an own
caption.
I can't plot the main caption in a window, and subsequently plot the two
graphics (next to each other) below it.

Here is what I've tried. This one almost does the job, but when plotting
the two graphics, R generates a new pdf page.
The 3 commented lines were another approach I tried but didn't work out.
The split.screen() erases what was previously drawn on the device (which
is the main caption in my case):

x <- 1:10
y <- 10:1
pdf("sandbox.pdf", width=6.5, height=3)