[R] Error with BRugs 0.53 and 0.71, on Win7 with R 2.12.2 and 2.13.0 (crashes R GUI)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon May 30 09:57:55 CEST 2011

On 29.05.2011 23:19, Chris Chapman wrote:
> Uwe -- thank you. No, this occurs on three different machines: two at
> work (a Lenovo laptop running Win7-32, plus an HP workstation running
> Win7-64) ... and I just tried another Compaq desktop machine at home
> running WinXP-32, with the same result.
>
> I agree that this seems highly unusual since the examples are so simple
> and obviously work in general; yet it is also highly replicable for me,
> and I'm at a loss as to what might be the root cause given the different
> machines and Windows versions. FWIW, everything else in my R environment
> (Rgui, Tinn-R, RStudio, ggplot2, various other packages) runs OK.
> OpenBUGS in itself also seems OK albeit in limited tests.
>
> Could there be something in the "handleRes()" error that suggests
> anything to examine (firewall, antivirus, file locations, or some file
> permissions, perhaps? -- although those also vary across my machines,
> esp. from work to home).

The only thing I can say is, yes, perhaps.
Sorry, but I am still unable to reproduce so far.

Uwe

> Thanks again,
>
> -- Chris

>>> r[i] ~ dbin(p[i], n[i])
>>> b[i] ~ dnorm(0, tau)
>>> logit(p[i])<- alpha0 + alpha1 * x1[i] + alpha2 * x2[i]
>>> + alpha12 * x1[i] * x2[i] + b[i]
>>> }
>>> alpha0 ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
>>> alpha1 ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
>>> alpha2 ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
>>> alpha12 ~ dnorm(0, 1.0E-6)
>>> tau ~ dgamma(0.001, 0.001)
>>> sigma<- 1 / sqrt(tau)
>>> }
>>> "
>>> print(modelString)
>>> writeLines(modelString,con="model3.txt")
>>> modelCheck( "model3.txt" )
>>>
>>> Which (usually) produces:
>>> Error in handleRes(res[[3]]) :
>>> An OpenBUGS module or procedure was called that did not exist.
>>>
>>> I've copied at the end of this message an example from a single R
>>> session that shows how it may work sometimes but not others.
>>>

>>> 2. OpenBUGS 3.2.1 + BRugs 0.71:
>>>
>>> As above, the model occasionally works, but mostly it crashes R on
>>> the modelCheck() line with the error "R for Windows GUI front-end has
>>> stopped working".
>>>

>>> I've tried the following combinations to try to get it to work:
>>> A. Win7 32-bit + R 2.13 + BRugs 0.531 from standard CRAN repository
>>> (installed from R)
>>> B. Win7 32-bit + R 2.13 + BRugs 0.71 + OpenBUGS 3.2.1 (package and
>>> EXE from OpenBUGS site)
>>> C. Win7 64-bit [different machine] + R 2.13 (32-bit) + BRugs 0.531
>>> D. Win7 64-bit + R 2.13 (32-bit) + BRugs 0.71 + OpenBugs 3.2.1
>>> E. Win7 32-bit + *R 2.12.2* + BRugs 0.531 from standard CRAN
>>> repository (installed from R)
>>> F. Win7 64-bit + R 2.12.2 (32-bit) + BRugs 0.531
>>> G. Win7 64-bit + R 2.12.2 (32-bit) + BRugs 0.71 + OpenBugs 3.2.1