[R] Metafor: Differences between two categories of a moderator

Holger Steinmetz Holger.steinmetz at web.de
Tue May 31 12:52:00 CEST 2011

Hi there,

when using the metafor package for testing mixed effects models with
categorical moderators, I get a regression table reporting betas. These
betas are mean differences between a certain category in the effect size to
the reference category (intercept). In addition, the QM-tests allows testing
if the differences between all the categories TO the reference are
significant or not.

The problem is that if there are differences AMONG the categories (but not
to the reference), the QM-test will not notice that. Hence, my question is
if there is an option to test differences among specific categories (e.g.,
simple subgroup comparison).

Best,
Holger