[R] DateTime Math in R - POSIXct

Galen Moore galen.a.moore at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:15:15 CEST 2011

Many thank, Jeff  –

a)  I am indeed on Windoze, and found the time zone directory under: C:\Program Files\R\R-2.13.0\share\zoneinfo
b)  I applied Sys.setenv(TZ="America/Denver") to my real program, and the numerical and POSIXct output representations of my date/times now work, thanks! I've avoided converting back to numeric from POSIXct in my real program.  I left my calc'd variables in numeric mode so as to avoid POSIXct surprises.
c)  Oddly, however, my dummy/demo code below still shows some screwy behavior, even with Sys.setenv(TZ="America/Denver") applied.  I'm guessing that the apparent reversion to GMT occurs in my statement " dateN <- as.numeric(dateP)" below is merely the internal representation to which you refer.   I don't understand why POSIXct slaps another hour on dateN on conversion to dateP, nor why R generates the "MDT" timezone value (not listed and not valid tz designation).

Thanks again for your help, and grateful for any further hints.  I'd really like to be not confused by this approach to datetime arithmetic in R.

- Galen

> Sys.setenv(TZ="America/Denver")
>
> tstamp <- "2011-05-22 11:45:00"
> mode(tstamp)
[1] "character"

> dateP <- as.POSIXct(tstamp, origin="1970-01-01")
> mode(dateP)
[1] "numeric"
> dateP
[1] "2011-05-22 11:45:00 MDT"
> # Denver is currently on MDT, and note that R generates the "MDT" designation,
> # even though it is not listed in C:\Program Files\R\R-2.13.0\share\zoneinfo
>
> dateN <- as.numeric(dateP)
> dateN
[1] 1306086300
> # 1306086300  returns "5/22/2011 17:45:00" when converted manually
>
> dateP2 <- as.POSIXct(dateN, origin="1970-01-01")
> dateP2
[1] "2011-05-22 18:45:00 MDT"