[R] how to define PKG_CONFIG_PATH ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 31 16:08:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011, Wolfgang RAFFELSBERGER wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> as I'm trying to install R and Rgraphwiz on a Fedora Linux, I have a
> problem with the environement variable "PKG_CONFIG_PATH".  The
> library "libgvc" is not getting recognized / found, although a
> recent version libgvc is on the system and can be seen via
> /usr/lib64.  I've tried to edit the paths described in /etc/ldpaths
> but without any success. Any hints how I can tell the system where
> to search for libgvc ?

Which Fedora version does matter here: see the posting guide
(including for which list to use: not this one!).  But you have not
most likely not installed the correct RPMs:

gannet% rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libgvc.pc
graphviz-devel-2.26.3-2.fc14.x86_64

on Fedora 14.  Almost certainly you have graphviz but not
graphviz-devel installed.

On some earlier versions of Fedora you needed to add a library path to
the ld.so cache.