[R] Compiling C-code in Windows

Smith, Dale Dale.Smith at Fiserv.com
Tue May 31 19:09:34 CEST 2011

Try

CC=gcc -mno-cygwin

to avoid linking with the Cygwin dlls.

Thanks,
Dale Smith, Ph.D.
Senior Financial Quantitative Analyst
Risk & Compliance
Fiserv.
107 Technology Park
Norcross, GA 30092
Direct NYC: 212-419-3242
Direct Norcross: 678-375-5315
Mobile: 678-982-6599
Mail: dale.smith at fiserv.com
www.fiserv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org]
On Behalf Of Duncan Murdoch
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:33 PM
To: Mike Marchywka
Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch; pmilin at ff.uns.ac.rs
Subject: Re: [R] Compiling C-code in Windows

On 11-05-31 12:24 PM, Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:37:56 -0400
>> From: murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
>> To: tom.osborn at iinet.net.au
>> CC: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch; pmilin at ff.uns.ac.rs
>> Subject: Re: [R] Compiling C-code in Windows
>>
>> On 31/05/2011 7:50 AM, Tom Osborn wrote:
>>> You could use cygwin's cc/gcc, or the Watcom opensource compiler.
>>
>> Neither of those is supported. Use what the R Admin manual suggests,
or
>> you're on your own.
>
> I have had fairly good luck with cygwin or mingw but you may need to
> have a few conditionals etc. Not sure what R suggests but cygwin
should
> work.

The MinGW compilers are the recommended ones.  If you use Cygwin, you'll

need to provide the Cygwin DLLs as well, and those may clash with others

on the user's system, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Duncan Murdoch

http://www.stat.lsa.umich.edu/~yizwang/software/maxLinear/noteonR.html,
>>> and links listed there). Everything works like a charm in Linux. I
have
>>> *.so and wrapper function from R is doing a right call.
>>> However, I wanted to make *.dll library for Win-users. Now, I used
my
>>> colleague's computer with Win XP on it, and with the latest R. In
MS-DOS
>>> console, I positioned prompt in 'C;\Program
Files\R\R-2.13.0\bin\i386\',
>>> and then I run: 'R CMD SHLIB C:\trial.c'. However, nothing happened,
no
>>> trial.dll, nothing. Then, I tried with: 'R CMD SHLIB
--output=trial.dll
>>> C:\trial.c', but no luck, again.
>>> Please, can anyone help me with this? Can I use: 'R CMD SHLIB
>>> --output=trial.dll C:\trial.c' under Linux, and expecting working
DLL?