[R] How to interpret Spearman Correlation

shahab shahab.mokari at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:58:08 CET 2011

Hi,

I am not really familiar with Correlation foundations, although I read
a lot. So maybe if someone kindly help me to interpret the following
results.
I had the following R commands:

correlation <-cor( vector_CitationProximity , vector_Impact, method =
"spearman", use="na.or.complete")
 cor_test<-cor.test(vector_CitationProximity, vector_Impact, method="spearman")

and the results are:
"correlation"
Correlation =  0.04715686

"cor_test"
Spearman's rank correlation rho

data:  vector_CitationProximity and vector_Impact
S = 5581032104, p-value = 0.008736
alternative hypothesis: true rho is not equal to 0
sample estimates:
       rho
0.04582115

So apparently, there is positive correlation between two given
variables since Correlation =  0.04715686  > 0
However I couldn't interpret the significance ?' what does "rho" say?
Is there any simple sample that I can read and try to understand? I am
do confused in understanding how significance can be interpreted.

Thanks,

/Shahab