[R] set seed for random draws

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 07:30:18 CET 2011

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:

> I think it's easier than you are making it: the random seed is created
> in a "pretty-random" way when you first use it and then it is updated

Ah: It is unless you then save the workspace.  If you do, then evey
subsequent session starts with the same seed until you save the
workspace again.  So never saving and always saving works fine, but
occasional saving can lead to puzzlement.

That "pretty-random" way is as unpredictable as pseado-random numbers
(It uses a PRNG internally.)