[R] Combining some duplicated rows & summing one of their column

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:00:32 CET 2011

Since you did not supply a subset of data, or indicate if you wanted
all the other values transformed in some ways, here is a simple use of
tapply to get your data with respect to 'catch'.  If this not what you
wanted, you need to be more clear in your request and also give some
hints as to what you tried.

> x <- data.frame(EID = sample(10, 20, TRUE), catch = 1:20)
> tapply(x$catch, x$EID, sum)
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
18 12 20  5 54 19 20  4 56  2