[R] HoltWinters in R 2.14.0

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Nov 7 13:50:32 CET 2011

On 05.11.2011 06:02, TimothyDalbey wrote:
> You are 100% correct by my estimation however I suppose I am looking for the conditions in the data that might cause the optim() or optimize() functions to fail.

Yes.

> I took a brief tour of the HoltWinters source but the code available (readable) online seemed outdated (by way of conflicting descriptions in versioning.).

The sources are available on CRAN for all versions that are around.

 > I'll have another poke around the source - that is unless there is
someone out there that can clearly state why optimize() fails within the
context of the HoltWinters class v. 2.14.0.

It always failed, but it did not always report it before by an ERROR
message as Brian Ripley explained already.

Best,
Uwe Ligges