[R] A question on Programming

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:20:26 CET 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Christofer Bogaso
<bogaso.christofer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all. Let say I have a group of codes which will be used in many places
> in my overall R-code files. These group of codes will be used within a
> for-loop (with a big length, like 10000 times) and also many other places
> outside of that for loop. As this group of codes are being used in many
> places, I thought to put them within a user-defined function.
>
> Here my question is, is there any speed reduction if I put them within a
> function (I think there may be some speed reduction at least within
> for-loop, because that loop needs to call that function many times),
> relative to if I used that group of codes as-it-is in many places?

There shouldn't be, but you can use system.time() to discover whether
that is true for your particular function.

Regardless, I would think that the savings in programmer time and
later readability far outweighs any miniscule savings in run time.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org