[R] Myriam Saavedra M. Sc. Questions about maximun radius distance

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 16:55:54 CET 2011

Myriam <fantasmita1948 <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

>  Dear Mr. Baddeley   I just graduated from a Masters in
> Applied Mathematics on Jun19th. My thesis was about spatial
> distribution /a nalysis of some trees in a part of  the Congo Basic
> Forest.  In my thesis I used your spatial package in R, and today
> I'm doing a more deeper study about how we choise the r distance in
> Function F(). I would like to be able to understand about value of
> rmaxdefault as:

  "Mr Baddeley" isn't here (probably) -- this is a generic
help list for questions on R.

> ripley <- min(diff(W$xrange), diff(W$yrange))/4
> rlarge <- if (!missing(lambda)) sqrt(1000/(pi * lambda)) else Inf
> rmax <- min(rlarge, ripley)

>  For the ripley's calculation, I found your explanation in
> the internet but for the rlarge I couldn't find it. Could
> you explain why it is using the value inside of the sqrt (1000/(pi *
> lambda)).

  You've given us just a fragment of a question here -- there's
not enough context to work with. We don't know where the
variable 'W' came from, although presumably from a Ripley's
K calculation ... ?

 Please read http://tinyurl.com/reproducible-000 , and give us more
information (e.g. the link (URL) to the explanation you say you found
on the internet).

   I would also suggest that this question might be better suited
for the r-sig-ecology at r-project.org mailing list ...