[R] R development master class: NYC, Dec 12-13

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:21:22 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Steve Lianoglou
<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some of the money I earn from these courses goes to pay for my summer
>> salary and supports student research. It also gives me confidence that
>> if I don't get tenure because I've been writing R packages instead of
>> papers, I can keep doing the work I love.
>
> If that actually happens, that would be an amazing/colossal (not in a
> good way) testament to how well the "rating system" works in academia.

I think there's a broader issue here, that many people (Hadley
included, but many many others) who do open source work go seriously
underappreciated and underrespected.  This is not just in academia.
You do not have to read too many emails on R-help or R-devel to see
someone complaining about something that is not working or is not
working the way it "should".  Suggestions for improvement are always
great, but it seems to me the tone is often very negative considering
the amount of time and effort very gifted people put into it and have
gotten A) little or no payment B) little recognition from their
respective institutions.  Makes me wish I was more than a graduate
student and had more to give.

Josh

--
Joshua Wiley