[R] identify duplicate from more than one column

jour4life jour4life at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:46:30 CET 2011

Hi Josh,

I'm sorry, it was meant for you. I guess for now that error doesn't
matter...for now. Essentially, I want to repeat the conditions that state
the following, and continue doing so for several variables.

At the end of the day, I'm only going to keep the couple ID and remove the
duplicates. But, before I do that, I want to see how I can write a line/s
that will let me observe both sexes (in the couple) and identify which one
has a certain characteristic and apply that to a new variable. For instance,

if a male moved residence, but the woman did not, migration = 1,
else if a woman moved residence, but not the man, migration = 2,
else if both man and woman migrated, then migration = 3, etc...
else if both man nor woman did not migrate, then migration = 0

However, in order for me to program this and identify them to construct the
variables, I have to ensure that both are in the same couple id, and observe
both sexes in the couple before I remove the duplicates. I thought the
previous example would help me get at this problem, but it still does not
make sense to me.

Using the newly created coupleid (Thanks to you guys!) this is what I want
to see, where mig = migration: 1 = moved and 0 = did not move:

   coupleid         home z sex age    mig    mig.new
1   01502918       1        1 053      1        3
2   01502918       1        2 049      1        3
3   01502901       1        1 038      0        2
4   01502901       1        2 033      1        2
5   01502902       1        1 036      1        3
6   01502902       1        2 033      1        3
7   01502903       1        1 023      0        0
8   01502903       1        2 019      0        0
9   01502904       1        1 045      0        2
10 01502905       1        2 047      1        2

I hope this makes sense, and thanks again, Josh!

Carlos