[R] help in fitted values in lm function

Timothy Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:00:18 CET 2011

This caught me learning R, and no doubt thousands of others.

When would one ever want the results of fitted() or residuals() to NOT match the data frame rows which went into the model? Certainly making shrinking the results the default is not what 99% of user will want  if they need to access residuals: They will want a list of residuals padded with NAs to plot or use in further analyses in the originating data frame.

IMHO, the default na.action for lm() should be “na.exclude" (which, believe it or not, INcludes NAs in the results…)

Best, tim