[R] Upgrade R?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Mon Nov 14 22:59:31 CET 2011

On 14.11.2011 22:42, Gene Leynes wrote:
> I have had similar problems.
>
> I have several installations of R and now I have no control over which one
> opens when I try opening a RData file.  The RGUI is registered more than
> once, but they all have the exact same appearance in the "choose programs"
> menu.

I load data files using load(). I could even drag and drop it to my R
instance.
If you keep all old R versions around, all can manage to load Rdata
files, so they are registered unless you remove that part from the
registry. But R really cannot know which version you keep for opening
files. If you don't want the old versions: uninstall. If you don't want
that R uses the registry, just tell the installer to avoid it.

> It's become particularly annoying now that new versions of R seem to be
> published with ever increasing frequency.

You statement is based on which facts, please?

We had exactly two major releases a year for 10 years now (11 years
back, when 1.0.0 came out, there were 3-4 major releases).

Uwe Ligges