[R] Adding units to levelplot's colorkey

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 00:03:36 CET 2011

You don't show code or a reproducible example, so I guess you want a
general answer. Use the draw.colorkey() function inside the
levelplot() call. It takes an argument key =, which accepts a list of
arguments, including space, col, at, labels, tick.number, width and
height (see p. 155 of the Lattice book). More specifically, the labels
argument also accepts a list of values, with components at, labels,
cex, col, font, fontface and fontfamily. You could attach the units as
labels with a combination of at = and labels = inside the (outer)
labels argument, something like

myAt <- c(1, 3, 5, 7, 9)
myLab <- paste(myAt, 'cm')

levelplot( ...
   draw.colorkey(key = list(labels = list(at = myAt, labels = myLab)),

If that doesn't work, then please provide a reproducible example.

HTH,
Dennis