[R] help to ... import the data from Excel

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:26:59 CET 2011

Part of my problem has to do with getting through the corporate
firewall to access the other program I have to download to use it.  I
just tried today and this is what I got:

> xls.getshlib()
--- xls.getshlib running... ---
  - download.file from
'http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2602516/swissrpkg/bin/win32/shlib/xlsReadWrite_1.5.4_dll.zip'
(timeout: 60)
Error in copyOrDownload(url) :
  downloading 'http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2602516/swissrpkg/bin/win32/shlib/xlsReadWrite_1.5.4_dll.zip'
to 'C:\DOCUME~1\kon9407\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtmpQR6rWi/xlsReadWrite.zip' failed
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(url, fpzip.temp, method = "internal", quiet = TRUE,  :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '403 Forbidden'

Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit

1: xls.getshlib()
2: copyOrDownload(url)

I think when I was using it in the past, I had some problem with
writing to multiple output sheets so I could create tabs on the
workbook, but not really sure what was happening at the time.  I have
had better luck with XLConnect in creating tabbed workbooks.

--
Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru