[R] Upgrade R?

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 22:21:39 CET 2011

Generally I have several versions of R installed on any PC running
Windows 7 and have never had any problem choosing which version of R
was to be the default one.  In the past the updated version did not
always register as the default but there was and is a utility
RSetReg.exe in the bin directory of each distribution which appeared
to solve the problem.  RStudio, Vincent's Goulet's emacs package for
Windows  and several other windows GUIs have facilities for setting
the sefault R to use.

When installing an upgrade I do the following

1 Download and install the new version

2 Rename the library directory in the new distribution to librarytemp

3 Copy the library from the old version to the new distribution.

4 Copy/Move the contents of librarytemp to this library  directory (I
want to keep the updated base packages)

5 When I am satisfied that the old version is no longer required I
uninstall it either from the start menu or the  unins000.exe utility
in the r distribution.  When this is run any remaing files in the R
distribution may be deleted.

I have never had any r related problems with this procedure.  (I have
had problems with an anti-virus program but that is another matter.

Best Regards

John

Best Regards

John