[R] List of lists to data frame?

Kevin Burton rkevinburton at charter.net
Thu Nov 17 03:39:10 CET 2011

Say I have the following data:

> s <- list()
> s[["A"]] <- list(name="first", series=ts(rnorm(50), frequency=10,
start=c(2000,1)), category="top")
> s[["B"]] <- list(name="second", series=ts(rnorm(60), frequency=10,
start=c(2000,2)), category="next")

If I use unlist since this is a list of lists I don't end up with a data
frame. And the number of rows in the data frame should equal the number of
time series entries. In the sample above it would be 110. I would expect
that the name and category strings would be recycled for each row. My brute
force code attempts to build the data frame by appending to the master data
frame but like I said it is *very* slow.

Kevin