[R] function sum for array

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Nov 18 17:11:27 CET 2011

S+'s help(apply) says

  MARGIN
  the subscripts over which the function is to be applied.
  For example, if X is a matrix, MARGIN=1 indicates rows
  and MARGIN=2 indicates columns. If the dimensions of X
  are named, then the names can be used to specify MARGIN.
  Note that MARGIN tells which dimensions of X are retained
  in the result.

(and the Details section of the help file gives a worked
example) but I don't know if that is any clearer to you
than R's help(apply).

So if you want to summarize the one-dimensional slices,
X[i,j,k],  of an I by J by K array X use MARGIN=c(1,2).
(If your summary has dimensions M by N by ... by P (or
just length M) then apply's output has dimensions
c(prod(M,N,...,P),K), except that any dimension equal to 1 is
dropped.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com