[R] ICC - IntraClass Correlation Error

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 07:47:35 CET 2011

Hi,

There are several things that would be helpful for us to help you.
First off, please do read the posting guide:

a reproducible example will do wonders for your chances of getting a
clear, easy to understand response (quite likely if you gave a
reproducible example with a reproducible answer rather than just "try
looking at x or y").

I am not sure what package you used, or what version (again see the
posting guide for what is expected you report), though I might hazard
the guess the "psych" package.  In any event, my guess is that there
is something off about the data.  There are several "gotchas" with R
where it is easy to think you have one type of data, but R has
something else.

A couple things you can try:

A) are you able to reproduce the error with a subset of your data?
Try to go as small as possible (say only 3-5 units).  If you are still
getting the error, on that little dataset (3-5 units and the outcome),
send us the output of:

dput(your_subset_data)

this provides a text representation of exactly *how* R "sees" the
data, and will allow us to work with the same thing you are.  With
that and if you tell us the package and your version etc. as per the
posting guide, we can give you a better answer.

B) trying running example(icc_function) where icc_function is the name
of whatever function it is you are using.  If there are any, this
should run the examples for that function.  This does two things.
First off, it should verify that the function works at least in some
cases (or if it fails with the author written examples, you probably
do not want to trust the function on your data anyways).  Second, it
should show you some correct ways to use the function and perhaps from
those you can glean some syntax error of yours that will solve your
problem.

Sincerely,

Josh