[R] Header = T

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Nov 23 10:03:34 CET 2011

On 11/23/2011 06:47 AM, lucky7 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just start to use R today! I am reading the R Help on read.csv and the
> description for header says "header is set to TRUE if and only if the first
> row contains one fewer field than the number of columns". Why is that? My
> data has the same number of fields in the first row as the number of
> columns. I mean I have no problem opening my csv file I am just curious why
> it should be one fewer.

Hi lucky7,
This looks like one of those little obscurities that sometimes appear in
the help files. The default for read.csv is header=TRUE and I guess that
the "...header is set to TRUE..." part means that if your file has one
less field in the first line, header will be forced to TRUE as this is a
part of the CSV specification. As Douglas Adams might have said,

"Don't panic."

Jim