[R] Boxplot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Nov 27 06:25:20 CET 2011

On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:15 AM, Jeffrey Joh wrote:

> I'm trying to do the second case among Jim's suggestions.  I used
> Bert's suggestion and it works great.
>
> I would also like to ask if anyone is familiar with a package for
> making box-plots.  I would like to bin my datapoints at defined X
> intervals and display a boxplot for each bin on the same chart.

Combining `cut` (to define the intervals) and `boxplot` should be
fairly straight-forward.

> In Stata, there is a tool for making these, and it varies the width
> of the boxplot based on the number of points in each plot.

We have a tool for that, too. Study `quantile` a bit, to automatically
pick cutpoints that will divide into approximately equal groups.

(I use the `cut2` function in the Hmisc package,  because it is
integrated with `rms` that I use all the time, and because its
defaults for cut()-ting are more to my liking. It also has a "g="
parameter that automates the cut( ..., quantile(...)) processing.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT