[R] Fitting a linear model with lmer in the lme4 package

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Mon Nov 28 15:50:44 CET 2011

Hello,

I need to fit a "Nested Random Effects ANOVA model" with the lmer function
in the lme4 package.

I read through the documentation

http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/book/Ch2.pdf

and the data structure of the "Pastes" data set looks almost

exactly like mine. The only difference is that I have another factor which
distinguishes controls

from diseased patients.

For the "Pastes" data set they fittet their "Nested Random Effects model" as
follows:

lmer(strength ~ 1 + (1|sample) + (1|batch), Pastes, REML=FALSE)

My data strucute looks like as follows:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-12130948/data.png.html

I am not sure of how to fit my model now. Would it be as simple as only
adding the third factor?

lmer(Protein_1 ~ 1 + (1|Group) + (1|Sub_Disease) + (1|Disease)) ?

Cheers,

Syrvn