[R] quick ANOVA question

syrvn mentor_ at gmx.net
Tue Nov 29 11:49:03 CET 2011

Hello,

imagine the following experimental design:

Group - Value

control - 5
control - 6
control - 5

treated1 - 8
treated1 - 9
treated1 - 9

treated2 - 15
treated2 - 16
treated2 - 15

treated3 - 25
treated3 - 30
treated3 - 28

What I like to know is if I apply an ANOVA to this data and choose the
control group as the reference group (using the relevel function)
what groups exactly are compared? Are only all treated groups 1, 2, 3 tested
against the control group or are all possible combinations tested?

What is compared?

A) Testing: control vs treated1; control vs treated2; control vs treated3;

or

B) Testing: control vs treated1; control vs treated2; control vs treated3;

                treated1 vs treated2; treated1 vs treated3; treated2 vs
treated3;

Cheers